From lack of natural light to functionality feasibility, windowless rooms often pose a challenge.
Let there be light. With the absence of natural sources, here’s your guide to infusing spaciousness into windowless rooms.
- Portable lights: table and floor lamps.
- Fixed lights: recess lighting, pendants, chandeliers and wall sconces.
- Construction-created lights: clerestories, dormers or skylights.
Elements such as mirrors can help make a room feel more spacious and open. See also: light-colored paints and neutral fabrics.
The home office
One popular functional option for a windowless space is to transform it into a home office.
When designing a windowless office space, here are some Design Recipes tips:
- Add lots of mirrors to help make the space feel bigger.
- Incorporate interesting design elements such as whimsical wallpaper or a bright paint color.
- Be purposeful with furniture, as windowless rooms tend to be smaller spaces.
- Add plenty of portable light such as table and floor lamps.
- Incorporate floor coverings to help make windowless spaces feel cozy.
By Cathy Hobbs. Cathy is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design home staging expert and short-term rental/vacation home designer. Contact her at [email protected] or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.