BOULDER – What is Radon and why should I test for it? Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that indoor radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today after smoking.
It is a common misconception that certain areas of the United States are not at risk for radon. In fact radon can be found in high levels in every state in the country; it doesn’t discriminate between new or old homes, brick or wood frame, basement or no basement. Testing is the only way to know your home’s radon levels. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of high radon levels. The U.S. EPA, the Surgeon General and the American Lung Association recommend having your home tested. Winter is an ideal time to test your home for radon as doors and window must be kept shut as much as possible during the test period.
Radon testing can be done by the home owner with a one-time use kit that is mailed to a lab for testing. These do it yourself kits can be purchased on line or in your local hardware store. In most cases however, including real estate transactions, homeowners and prospective homeowners prefer the testing be done by a qualified professional.
The EPA recommends mitigation for your home if the test results are 4 pCi/L or higher. Radon mitigation systems can cost between $550 and $2,500 depending on the size of the house and type of construction. Homes with unfinished basements or crawl spaces tend to be toward the lower end of the price range.
For more information on home inspections contact Rick Jacquemard, at 720.280.3544, e-mail [email protected] or visit flatironshi.com.